Forget this guide if you have been using fully installed personal computer or laptop. But if you have just purchased a computer and not having all the essential programs and software yet, this guide will be handy. Yes, it is about how to open a RAR file. Everyone knows that opening RAR file is like a daily task that every computer owners do.
What is RAR File?
So, does any of you know what RAR file is? Here is a simple explanation. RAR extension is a file that you get when you compress several files together using the WinRAR. In other words, it refers to a single file consisting of multiple files inside. Compressing files to get a RAR file is very common because it is one of the ways to save bandwidth when the file should be sent using internet connection.
Windows alone does not have a program to compress several files and to open a RAR file. Therefore, installing third party software or application is necessary. In this case, there are two third-party programs available to open a RAR file. They are WinRAR and 7zip. Both of them work great, so it is only a matter of choice.
How to Open RAR File?
Open RAR File via WinRAR
Before you choose the WinRAR, you have to know that this software is trialware. It means that WinRAR can be freely used only in short time. So, when the trial period is over, you should purchase if you want to use it longer. The WinRAR itself is compatible with various Windows versions including Windows 10, Windows 8.1 and Windows 7.
- To start using WinRAR, you must download and install WinRAR. Your best option is to visit the official page for downloading. Once you have done with downloading, continue with installation by double-clicking the setup file that has been downloaded. There are two separate installers available to download, for 64 bit and 32 bit Windows. So, make sure to choose the right installer.
- Your WinRAR is installed and what you must do next is to right-click on any RAR file you wish to open. Afterward, choose the Extract files option and continue by selecting the location you want to save all the extracted files.
- Open the location where you save the extracted files and open any files you want.
Open RAR File via 7-zip
Your second option to open RAR file is to use the 7-zip. Here is the great thing about this program. It is completely free. Yes, you can use it as long as you want without having to pay for anything. And this is the reason many choose this instead of WinRAR.
- Start by downloading and installing 7-zip software from its official page. Make sure to select the right setup file, the 32 bit or 64 bit.
- Double click on the 7-zip setup file to start the installation
- When this software is running already, right click on any RAR file you need to open. Then, click the Extract Files and choose the location for saving all of the extracted files.
- Open the files you want to.